“The History of Trinity”
Trinity Baptist Church was constituted in June, 1962, with 62 charter members and pastor Wendell Sodergren . Trinity originated as a mission of Bedford Baptist Church. Trinity first met in the old Clarke building on Jackson Street. In 1964, Main Street Baptist Church merged with Trinity with Charles Wilson as pastor.
We have had 8 Pastors to serve at Trinity since Rev. Wilson; Donald Coleman, Gale Lyon, Herbert Holton, Jay Adrain, David Engleman, Richard Lewis, Wessley Patterson, and Vernon DeLong.
In 1968 10 acres of land was purchased at Lyle and Pinecrest Streets. The East Main Street property was sold and a Building Program was started. A parsonage at 1008 Pinecrest Avenue was purchased. Ground breaking for a new Church building was held in 1970, and a dedication ceremony for the Sanctuary, Classrooms, and Office in 1971.
Trinity experienced rapid growth in its new location on Lyle Street. In 1981 the debt on the building was paid off. A 25th Anniversary was celebrated in June 1987. A Fellowship Hall, along with SS Classrooms, and new Offices, was built during 1993. In 1999 the final debt of the Church was paid off.
947 Lyle Street Bedford, VA 24523 (540) 586-8010
Website created by DeLong Enterprises. Comments or Suggestions? Please use our Feedback Form